background

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Masbate : Sombrero Island

The blog I am writing today happened almost 3 years ago.
I wasn't into blogging back then because I know I am not good at telling stories and sorts, 
but I have decided just last year that I wanted to share them with you.  

So going back...
There's this one time when I really, really bleed for a getaway.
I wanted some white sand beach and more white sand beach. Haha!! 
So, I started googling for places nearby. 
I started from the closest and my jump off point should be just in Camarines Sur. 


After a little research, my siblings and I, plus a friend of mine took this once in a lifetime trip. 


We started out by going to Pasacao.  
It's an hour drive from Naga City.  (We brought our car, so we skipped the hassle of the longer trip to this place.)
Pasacao can be reached by riding a jeepney near LCC mall bound to Pasacao. 
After almost an hour of driving, 
we went straight to the port, inquired for a boatman to bring us to Sombrero island the following day.
Unluckily, we weren't able to get a great deal.  
The goal cost of the island hopping should be Php 5000 covering 3 islands.  :) 

Feeling a bit disheartened, we opted to stay overnight in one of the resorts there. 
Until one boatman learned about our plans and agreed to our deal. :) Yey!!
He was a friend of the caretaker of the resort where we stayed in for the night in Pasacao.

 We left the resort around 4 in the morning.
It was still dark, pitch dark. 
The only thing visible was the stars and the moon above. 
According to my friend, fishermen use the stars and the moon as their guide to get to their destination.
How? O.O
Amazing huh?


After a few moments, Mr. Sun started showing up, bringing light around us.
We even spotted Mayon Volcano from afar.  Perfectly sculptured by nature. 




The travel time from Pasacao to Sombrero Island was around 4 hours.
It took us this much because we only rented a smaller boat. :)
*We didn't ride the ferry or sorts. 
Thus, we were already getting bored of seeing the same seawater. 
Having the only glimpse of islets and rocks as we traverse. 


a fisherman is curious what's under him :) 





Finally, I can see an island with white surroundings.  
And the boatman nodded when I asked him if it's the Sombrero Island. Haha!
I've been asking him kasi when we were traveling if we're already close and
if those islands that I see were the island that I wanted to visit. 
For several times, he's been saying no until I saw his awesome nod.  Haha!!!


Getting close, the island boasts its pristine beauty, white sand, clear waters and a few rock formations.
The island got its name from the shape the island forms from afar, a sombrero or a hat. 
It's a great place actually for family and friends to bond and swim. :) 






One may opt to do a round tour of the island, which we did. 
It took us maybe an hour as we kept on stopping here and there to take photos, make few dips and check out the place.  


By the way, the visitors need to register and pay a specific fee -  environmental fee
to the caretaker who lives on the island. 






According to our boatman, one can cross going to the other island as seen in the photo below
when it's low tide. :) 






When you take a dip in the clear waters, 
mind your surrounding as you might step on one of these sea urchins.  Ouch!!! 





Got also amazed that we spotted a blue starfish. 


But of course, we have to bring him back to the water. 







A place where boatmen take their siesta. 




Soon after our Sombrero island tour, 
we transferred to a smaller island which I forgot the name. :(

No comments: