background

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Sabtang Tour: Departure and Arrival

Our Batanes trip wouldn't be complete if we will not experience the faluwas, rough waters of the Pacific Ocean and South China Sea and Sabtang island.
So on our third day, Sabtang is our destination.
It is one of the inhabited islands in Batanes apart from Itbayat and Batan.
To get there, one has to cross the island using a faluwa, a boat designed merely for the waves of Batanes, which is the only means of transportation
going to the island
The said boat has no "katig" or outriggers as this will only be crashed by the waves.


From our home-stay, we traveled for about 30 minutes and halted at Ivana Port.
Many people were already waiting when we arrived.  
We thought we were already late but nah!! 
They were still organizing the things that will be unloaded and loaded in the faluwas.  
Meanwhile, we signed in the manifesto and secured a vest.  


Strolling around the port, we've noticed a lot of water breakers.
It broke the treacherous waters of Balintang Channel,
the area where Pacific meets the West Philippine Sea.


a splash of water 
The ride to the island took us about 45 minutes.
Good thing that the waves weren't that rough and frightening
otherwise I will really be seasick.
 I clung to my boyfriend (opportunity..haha) though
when I could feel the boat glides to the water. 


I could feel the excitement within me as we were approaching the island. 
The scenery is just jaw-dropping. 
It's amazing to see the lush green hills,
 unusual structures of the boats, buildings, and vehicles. 


When we were about to alight the boat, 
on my right side, I spotted the Sabtang lightouse, took a photo of it
while the rest were wait for their turn to get off the boat. 



The first step I had in the island brought thrills inside me. 
Thrills of excitement and curiosity of what's installed for us. 
Then I did a little survey around me. 
I noticed this unique multicab pick-up where they had the cogon roof stuffed in. 
Amazing right?  I thought, it's just their houses and motorcycles.
But no! It serves a lot of purpose. 





Hopping in our truck, we headed to the Tourism Center of the island. 

No comments: