background

Monday, June 27, 2016

JPI Series: Nebo's Pearl


One of the gems that I visited when I went to Jordan was the Nebo's Pearl.
It's a mosaic and handicrafts center located in Mount Nebo, Madaba, 
the place where Moses overlooked the Promised Land and died. 


The center was founded by Mr. Ibrahim Zuraiqi to help the disabled people earn a living.
The shop could accommodate around 20 plus artisans from the local community supporting approximately 55 families. 



When I visited, I was able to take a look at how patient and dedicated the workers are. 
And mind you, they are undeniably skilled. 
They do their craft on whatever surface they can find.  
You can see them in eggs, vases and a variety of furniture. 
One lady even asked me to try it and boy it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. 


The left side of the center was mainly for the workshop while the right side is the store showroom where they sell the crafts they made. 
It can range from carpets, mosaics, hand-painted ostrich eggs, pieces of jewelry, and furniture. 
They also sell Dead Sea organic products, embroideries, and wood carvings. 


Actually, taking photos of the mosaics and handicrafts is not allowed.
But I can't help it.
They are all gorgeous. 
I wish to take them all home but I can't. 
So, I'll settle for these photos. 


By the way for travelers who wish to take home some of their goodies, 
 they will have it shipped to your country, straight to your door, for free. 

What's more astonishing is the center's outside wall. 
It's made of mosaic!
Amazeballs. :)  




No comments: