background

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Benguet : Strawberry Picking

One splendid summer of 2012, 
I asked a long time friend of mine if we could go to Baguio and do the strawberry picking
since I haven't done it. :D 
He was a bit hesitant at first but later on, he said yes. Yesh! 

So we went to Cubao and inquired at several bus stations. 
Subsequently, we saw ourselves boarding Victory Liner bus around 8 pm (I think) at that time. 
Meanwhile, I spoke with a friend who lives in Baguio if he could accommodate us and 
he gave us a positive feedback.  Yay!

Our journey was shorter than we expected as we traveled during the night, 
so we arrived in Baguio around 2 in the morning and we couldn't reach my friend.  
Instead, we stay in a hostel nearby, took some power nap and put the alarm at 6am.
Following a few moments of snoozing, we readied ourselves and head to pick strawberries.
Woohoo!!! 
One happy kid here!



When we arrived at the farm, 
I was really amazed by the sight - blue skies on top of a stunning plantation. 
I was sooo excited and ecstatic that finally a tick on my bucket list!  haha! 


The farm is located in La Trinidad, Benguet. 
It's around 30 minutes away from the city proper,  
and is accessible by private cars and public transportation. 
I would suggest that you visit the area early, around 6 am to avoid busy streets.
It also gets a little crowded if you get there late. 



The prices for picking strawberries and other vegetables vary.  
For the strawberries, it is twice the cost of buying it from the market. 
This is to compensate for the potential damages made by the amateur picker in their crops. 





The other areas have cabbages, romaine lettuce, broccoli and other vegetables. 




I got amazed on how the broccoli looks like on the ground.  
Cute, isn't it? 
Haha!!









Just a little advised,
when picking strawberries, try to pick them with their stem on, this helps to preserve the fruit. :D







I had so much fun. 
Now it's time to pay.  





Just before we left the farm, 
we also checked out the stores and food stalls just outside of it. 
They got souvenir items, fruits, jams, walis, and others for sale. 






Sundot-kulangot, a delicacy in Baguio and neighboring towns. 
The only thing I missed there was the strawberry taho and the ice cream. :(
Maybe, I really have to go back for them. :) 


We then left to meet my friend.
We had a little stroll around the city and capped our journey with a good lunch. 







That concluded our Benguet overnight trip. :) 
Now, heading to the busy city of Manila. 

Thank you La Trinidad!! ^_^ 
Till next time! 

No comments: